What weighs 200 pounds, reaches speeds of up to 45 mph and can cost you thousands of dollars in a split-second?
Deer collisions cost U.S. drivers millions every year, with an average repair cost of more than $4,000 for each claim. Odds for a deer collision double from October through December. Do you have the right coverage? Do you know the difference between comprehensive and collision coverages? Call us today with any questions or a quote on your car insurance.
Here are some tips to help you avoid an accident with a deer from National General, one of the many insurance companies we represent:
- Be more alert at dawn and dusk, when deer are most active
- If you feel the need to swerve, use caution and be aware of oncoming traffic and your surroundings
- Slow down – headlights only shine 200 to 250 feet in front of a vehicle, and a standard-sized vehicle typically takes 240 feet to come to a complete stop from 60 mph.
- When you see a deer cross the road, slow down and expect more to follow
- Watch for “deer crossing” signs and slow down when they are present
- Use high beams while driving at night if there is no other traffic around
In the event that you are involved in an accident with a deer or any other animal, contact your insurance company as soon as possible. And National General wants you to know that if they have you covered, they will guide you through the entire claim process and get you back on the road as soon as possible.
If you don’t have car insurance, let us show you how cheep car insurance can be. And let us know if you are worried about deer accidents.