Washington State Patrol Media Release – January 24, 2014
The Seattle Seahawks play the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII on February 2nd (depending on the weather)! Even though the game is being played clear across the country, there will be plenty of excitement around Washington. The Washington State Patrol (WSP) would like to remind both the die-hard Hawks fans as well as those fair-weather football fans to enjoy the game and have a blast doing so; but also to plan ahead for travel before and after the game.
With so much anticipation leading up to the big day, it feels almost like a holiday; and that is how troopers will be treating it come Super Bowl Sunday. Troopers will be out in force in Snohomish, Skagit, Island and Whatcom counties looking to remove impaired drivers from the roadways. Don’t ruin the thrill of the Hawks run at a championship by getting arrested for DUI. Much worse, don’t ruin your life or someone else’s by causing a collision due to impairment.
Make a plan now for how you are going to get to and return from the festivities safely. Here are some tips for enjoying the game responsibly:
- Have a designated driver already lined up ahead of time.
- If you’re going to someone’s house to watch the game, plan on staying overnight.
- Have your cab fare already set aside and ready to use.
- Help your family and friends make the right choice before they drive away.
- Don’t trust your decision making after you have been drinking; your decision to drive after the fact will be impaired.
This is an exciting time in our community. Let’s plan ahead and arrive safe on Super Bowl Sunday and on every day. Go hawks!