Police Beat, Nov. 3, 2022
Police Beat, Nov. 3, 2022

Source: link

Editor’s note: An arrest or a charge is not a conviction. All persons listed are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Charges can be amended or dismissed.

Granville Police Department

Oct. 21

3:33 p.m. Police responded to a call from Subway on State Route 22 in Granville to assist New York State Police in taking into custody a 47-year-old Whitehall man who was making suicidal remarks. State Police took the man to Glens Falls Hospital for evaluation.

Oct. 22

11:46 a.m. Granville police worked with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and New York State Police after providing suspect and suspect vehicle information in connection with a burglary at Calamity Jane’s Firearms and Fine Shoes in Hudson Falls to assist with locating and detaining 42-year-old Jonathan Combs for further questioning, which ultimately led to his arrest.

10:50 p.m. While on patrol, police observed a car driving south on Quaker Street at 42 mph in a 30-mph zone. The 39-year-old driver from Cypress, Texas was found to have an active New York State suspension from November 2021. She was given a traffic ticket for speeding and for aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Oct. 25

3:52 p.m. Police were dispatched to Stewart’s Shop on Quaker Street in response to a call about a customer who was harassing other customers. Police advised the 62-year-old man from York Street in Poultney, Vermont that he was no longer welcome at the location and that he needed to leave. The man left without incident.

Oct. 27

12:10 p.m. A resident of Columbus Street called police to inform them she had found a deer leg in her backyard and did not know what to do with it. Police confirmed the report and then notified the Department of Public Works, who removed the leg and disposed of it properly.

5 p.m. Police were called to assist the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives at 92 E. Main St. on a case follow-up from the Hudson Falls gun theft at Calamity Jane’s. Upon arrival, ATF agents were interviewing the homeowner and then decided to obtain a search warrant for the residence. The responding officer requested additional units to assist in securing the scene while a warrant was obtained from a federal judge. New York State Police and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office arrived on scene, and the home was secured. Because of the location of the home and the high volume of traffic, Granville Fire Department was called to shut down East Main Street. Once the warrant was obtained, ATF, Granville police, sheriff’s deputies and a NYSP officer entered the home and conducted a search. Once the search was completed, the street was reopened to traffic.

5:38 p.m. A 23-year-old Pacific Street man went to the police station and turned himself in on a warrant for menacing in the third degree. He agreed to surrender and to be transported to the Washington County Jail.

8 p.m. The Whitehall Police Department took a call about a person acting erratically in the parking lot of the Stewart’s Shop in Whitehall. Whitehall police informed Granville police that the person had just left in a truck heading on Route 12 toward Granville. The truck was being driven by a 37-year-old Fort Ann man with a 21-year-old passenger from Manchester, Vermont. The 21-year-old was of possible interest to both the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. A sheriff’s deputy requested that a Whitehall police officer follow the truck and provide location information as the deputy was attempting to intercept it. The deputy also requested that a Granville police officer take a post to observe traffic. The deputy intercepted the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop. Based on knowledge of the 21-year-old’s violent criminal behavior and the nature of the reason ATF wanted to question him, the Granville officer responded to the intersection of State Route 22 and Dublin Road. A sheriff’s sergeant also stopped to assist, and ATF arrived on scene. The 21-year-old was checked for firearms and agreed to go to State Police barracks for questioning.

Whitehall Police Department

Oct. 22

12 a.m. A police officer was dispatched to a Poultney Street address for a report of a loose dog in the roadway. The officer spoke with a 39-year-old Poultney Street woman who had found the dog wandering in the road. Tags identified the dog as belonging to another resident of Poultney Street. Police attempted to contact the owner listed on the dog’s tags but were unsuccessful. A neighbor said they would take the dog until morning and contact the owner then.

1 a.m. A Saunders Street resident reported a suspicious vehicle on the street. The resident also reported being uncertain whether the occupants of the vehicle had entered the abandoned house in front of which the vehicle was parked. The officer ensured that the building was secure and undisturbed and observed no signs of forced entry. The officer spoke with the person who had reported the vehicle who said he had heard a noise outside that sounded like “things being moved around,” but did not see anyone inside the house or vehicle and that the vehicle drove away in an unknown direction. The person reporting the incident also noted that the residence has been vacant since around July 4.

2:45 p.m. While on patrol an officer was dispatched to a home on Champlain Avenue for a 911 hang-up. The officer arrived on scene and spoke with the homeowner, who stated there was nothing wrong. The officer showed the homeowner the originating number, which they did not recognize.

6:57 p.m. A police officer was dispatched to the parking lot of the Budget Inn on U.S. Route 4 for a fight in progress. Upon arrival the officer observed about 10-15 people surrounding two men on the ground, one on top of the other holding his arms behind his back. The man on top said the other had tried to fight him. When the officer separated the men, the one who had been restrained was identified as a 35-year-old resident of Fifth Avenue in Whitehall. The officer noted a quantity of blood on the 35-year-old’s face, and the man said he had been beaten up by all in attendance. The officer called for back-up and EMS priority dispatch as the 35-year-old said his back hurt and he was not able to move it. When the officer stepped back from the man, he stood up and attempted to charge another man on the scene. The office pushed the 35-year-old back toward the patrol car. The man continually refused to clearly describe what had happened to him, only that he had been beaten up. Eventually the man said he had gone to that location to retrieve his bag. Additional officers from the state Department of Environmental Conservation and State Police arrived to assist. The 35-year-old was transported by Skenesborough EMS to Glens Falls Hospital for evaluation.

Oct. 24

12 p.m. A Whitehall police officer attempted to locate a 38-year-old man with an outstanding warrant at an address on High Street. A resident of the building told the officer that the man has never lived at that address and that they have not seen him in Whitehall for 15 years.

Oct. 25

8:15 a.m. A police officer responded to Stewart’s Shop on Broadway for a report of a fire. By the time the officer arrived, the fire had been extinguished and there was a lot of smoke in the shop. The fire department arrived to ventilate the building.

6:50 p.m. A 32-year-old woman reported finding a cell phone on Main Street that she turned over to police. The phone was identified as belonging to a 64-year-old man. The man was called and identified the phone as his, and it was returned to him.

Oct. 26

9 a.m. Police responded to a 911 call at a Williams Street residence with a child on the line. The officer spoke with a 25-year-old man who told him that his two-year-old had accidentally dialed 911 and there was no emergency at the residence.

1:40 p.m. A 59-year-old Hoosick Falls woman asked police to check her property on Williams Street because she had found the top section of the front window open upon her arrival. The officer checked the residence and found nothing out of place.

Oct. 27

2 p.m. A 49-year-old Broadway woman reported a lost license plate.

New York State Police

Oct. 24

11:51 a.m. Dena Morgan, 52, of Kingsbury was charged with assault in the second degree, a class D felony, menacing in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree with intent to use, both class A misdemeanors. She was being held.

7:18 p.m. Garth A Martel, 33, of Whitehall was arrested in Wilton for bail-jumping in the third degree, a class A misdemeanor. He was being held.

Oct. 26

2:21 p.m. Matthew J. Loomis, 32, of Johnsonville was arrested in Greenwich for operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs in the first degree, a class U misdemeanor, and aggravated DWI with a child, first offense, a class E felony.

Oct. 29

9:40 p.m. Dominick F. Caputo, 53, of Fort Edward was arrested for operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% and DWI, both first offenses, as well as aggravated DWI per se with no prior, all class U misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

9:54 p.m. Rodney M. Tobin, 38, of Eagle Bridge was arrested in Moreau on three counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance in the seventh degree and one count of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree, both class A misdemeanors. He was issued an appearance ticket.

Oct. 30

2:47 a.m. Rebecca Angela B. Manalang, 27, of Fort Edward was arrested in South Glens Falls for aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree, operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% and DWI, both first offenses and all class U misdemeanors. She was issued an appearance ticket.

Vermont State Police

Oct. 24

9:51 p.m. Vermont State Police responded to a suspicious call on Chapel Street in the Town of West Rutland. Through investigation and witness statements, it was determined that on Oct. 13, Lawrence Mace, 49, of West Rutland forced entry into a garage and stole multiple items. Mace also violated a relief from abuse order by being within 300 feet of the property. Mace was taken into custody and transported to the Rutland Barracks for processing. Troopers were granted a search warrant for Mace’s residence and troopers found evidence of the burglary and recovered stolen property. Mace was released on a citation to answer to the charges of burglary and violation of an abuse prevention order at a later date.

Oct. 25

2:40 p.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a two-vehicle crash at South Main Street and Vermont Route 140 in Wallingford. Troopers along with the Wallingford Fire Department responded to the scene. Investigation indicated that Chance Passmore, 19, of Proctor, driving a 2016 Ford F-350, was turning east on Vermont Route 140 and failed to yield the right of way to Francis Cole, 46, of Rutland, who was traveling north on South Main Street in a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado. No injuries were reported at the time of the crash, and both vehicles were removed from the scene by Benny’s Towing and Carrara’s Towing.

Oct. 26

11:08 p.m. Vermont State Police received a report of a domestic disturbance at a residence on Walker Mountain Road in Clarendon. Through the course of the investigation it was found that Cayce Kemp, 21, of Clarendon had physically assaulted a family/household member during the incident. Kemp was taken into custody without incident and transported to State Police barracks in Rutland. By order of the court, Kemp was released on conditions of release and will answer to the charges at a later date.

Oct. 27

6:45 p.m. Vermont State Police were dispatched to a complaint of a motor vehicle crashed in a yard in West Rutland. While speaking with the operator, Isabel Furneaux, 31, of Clarendon, multiple signs of impairment were observed. Furneaux refused to participate in standardized field sobriety tests roadside and subsequently was taken into custody for driving under the influence. Troopers also learned that Furneaux was violating court-ordered conditions of release as well as operating with a criminally suspended license for a previous DUI. Furneaux was transported to the Rutland barracks for processing and later was released on a citation to appear in Rutland County Superior Court, Criminal Division, at a later date to answer to the charges of DUI, DLS and violations of conditions of release.

Oct. 28

12:59 p.m. VT 911 received a report of Rondie C. Ciccarelli, 66, of Wells violating his court-ordered conditions of release stemming from previous aggravated assault and grand larceny charges by returning to a property on which he had trespassed and had been ordered not to be and by making contact with a subject with whom he had conditions not to have contact. State Police located Ciccarelli at his residence in Wells and he was taken into custody and transported to Rutland for processing. Ciccarelli subsequently was transported to the Marble Valley Regional Correctional Facility where he was lodged in lieu of $400 bail. Ciccarelli was cited to appear in Vermont Superior Court, Rutland Criminal Division, at a later date.

Oct. 29

9:08 a.m. Vermont State Police were notified of a crash on York Street Extension in Poultney. The operator was identified as Donald Bigelow, 67, of Hampton, New York. While speaking to Bigelow, troopers noted signs of impairment, and Bigelow was screened for DUI. He was then placed into custody and transported to the Castleton Police Department for processing. Bigelow later was released on a citation to appear at Vermont Superior Court, Rutland Criminal Division, at a later date.

Suspect in 1989 Danby double homicide returned to Vermont for arraignment

Michael Louise, the suspect in a 1989 double killing in Danby, returned to Vermont on Wednesday, Oct. 26, following his waiver of extradition from New York.

Louise, 79, was arrested earlier this month at his home near Syracuse on two counts of second-degree murder arising from the killing of his in-laws George and Catherine Peacock at their Danby residence 33 years ago.

Detectives from the Vermont State Police on Wednesday brought Louise to the Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield, where he was jailed pending arraignment.

Prosecution of this case is being handled by the office of Bennington County State’s Attorney’s Erica Marthage following a request by the Rutland County State’s Attorney’s Office due to staffing shortages in Rutland County.

Whitehall man arrested for predatory sexual assaults

James H. Ross

On Friday, Oct. 21, New York State Police arrested James H. Ross, 66, of Whitehall, New York, for three counts of predatory sexual assault against a child, a class A felony, according to a press release from the New York State Police.

On Sunday, Oct. 16, troopers received a complaint reporting the past sexual assault of a child under the age of 13. During the investigation, investigators discovered Ross sexually assaulted two other victims under the age of 13 in addition to the complainant.

Ross was arrested at his residence and brought to State Police barracks in Queensbury for processing. He was transported to the Washington County Correctional Facility to await arraignment.

Additional charges are expected.

If you have any information or believe you may also be a victim, contact New York State Police in Queensbury at 518-583-7000 or email [email protected].

VSP ask for help identifying burglary suspect

Vermont State Police responded to the East Dorset General Store in the Town of Dorset for a reported burglary incident that took place between the hours of 11 p.m. and 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 23-Monday, Oct. 24.

In the course of the investigation, troopers have been unable to positively identify the suspect in the case. As a result, the suspect is still unknown. Troopers ask that the public use the images provided (see above) to help identify the potential suspect.

Anyone who can provide information regarding the incident should contact 802-442-5421 and ask to speak with Trooper Ryan Criss or submit an anonymous tip online at vsp.vermont.gov/tipsubmit.

See also “Gun store theft probe continues,” Granville Sentinel, Nov. 3, 2022

"accident fire dui in washington state" – Google News