Washington SR22

Where to get SR22 Insurance?

The important question first! If you live anywhere in Washington State we can help you file an SR22. Our insurance offices are in Kennewick, Pasco, and Yakima but if you are unable to come in we can do the insurance application over the phone. Now, on to SR22s

An SR22, also known as a certificate of financial responsibility, informs the Department of Licensing that you are carrying liability insurance. It is not an insurance policy but is the form that is sent by the insurance company to the state to verify you are carrying insurance. If this policy is terminated an SR-26 is sent to the state informing them that you no longer have insurance which usually results in the re-revocation of your driving privileges.

There are three different types of SR22 forms:

  • Operator’s Certificate – covers financial responsibility while driving a non-owned vehicle.
  • Owner’s Certificate – covers financial responsibility for owned vehicles.
  • Operators-Owners Certificate – covers financial responsibility for all vehicles, owned and non-owned.

An SR22 is required in the following cases:

  • Your license is suspended for driving while under the influence (DUI)
  • After an accident you are unable to compensate the other party at least $60,0000 (minimum liability limits)
  • Too many tickets accumulated in the recent past
  • Your drivers license was suspended or revoked for any other reason

Filing the SR22 with the Department of Licensing:

  • Contact your insurance agent to request an SR22 filing. If the company you are insured with allows SR22s then the form can be added to your existing policy, if not, you will need to get an insurance policy with a company that allows SR22s
  • In Washington the SR22 is filed directly to the Department of Licensing in Olympia by the insurance company. Usually this is done online overnight by the insurance company but companies that are not automated with the Department of Licensing will have the agent fax the SR22 to Olympia. Until the SR22 is recorded on your driving file in Olympia you are not legal to drive.
  • If necessary, you must pay any reinstatement fees required by the state to the Department of Licensing.

What happens if you get a DUI in Oregon but have a Washington license? Great subject for another post!

If you need an SR22 filed, don’t hesitate to contact our office. You can call us or come into one of our offices in Kennewick, Pasco, or Yakima, or use our online quote page to build your car insurance policy with the coverages, options, and deductibles that you can afford.

Facebook Twitter GooglePlus Instagram LinkedIn