Non-Owner Car Insurance [FAQ] – Should You Get It?

Non-Owner Car Insurance [FAQ] – Should You Get It?

Can You Get Car Insurance Without a Car in Washington?

Yes. There are two ways to insure your license in Washington state. A Broadform Policy (only offered by a few companies) and a Non-Owner policy (which has severe limitations but is offered by more companies).

We recommend you always choose the Broadform policy over the Non-Owner policy because the Broad Form does not have the restriction against “vehicles available for regular use”. In other words, with a broad form policy, it doesn’t matter if this is your mother’s car, your brother’s car, or your brother from another mother’s car. And if you happen to buy a car, you don’t have to get a whole new policy because the Broad Form policy covers owned vehicles as well.

None of the major companies like State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, Geico, Progressive, or The General can offer a Broad Form policy, so their 800# operators will either misunderstand what you want because they don’t even know broadform exits, or try to sell you a Non-Owners policy. Don’t do it.

Read the FAQ info below & Call Us! We carry all 4 companies that offer a true Broad Form policy in Washington (and 8 that offer Non-Owner policies). We can find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.

Broad Form Insurance - Insure Your License - Video
We recommend Broad Form Insurance instead of Non-Owners Insurance for almost everyone looking to insure their license.

What Is Non-Owner Insurance?

Non-owner car insurance provides liability coverage when you drive a car that isn’t owned by you and not available for your regular use.

A Named Non-Owner Policy is actually an endorsement added to a regular personal auto policy (PAP) that limits the liability coverage to vehicles not owned or available for the regular use of the insured. If you wish to cover vehicles you own or borrow regularly, you should get a broad form insurance policy.

Just like a regular auto policy, should you be in an accident and you are found to be at-fault, the non-owner policy would shield you from lawsuits up to the policy limits for injuries and property damage you are liable for. But just like a regular policy, it doesn’t cover any damage to the car you are borrowing since that is the car owner’s responsibility.

A Broad Form policy covers everything a Non-Owner policy does plus owned and regularly used vehicles.


What Does A Non-Owner Auto Policy Cover?

A typical non-owner insurance policy usually only includes the basic limits of liability required by the state. You can (and should) choose higher liability limits as well as Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection and Personal Injury Protection medical coverage.


What Is Not Covered By A Non-Owner Policy?

The largest limitation is you wouldn’t have coverage if you were driving a vehicle you own or use often. If you will be borrowing the same vehicle regularly, a broad form policy is a better choice.

A non-owner policy does not cover damages done to the vehicle you are driving. The owner of the car is responsible for his own vehicle and should not lend it out if he is not willing to cover it himself.

A non-owned policy does not cover anything that the owner’s insurance policy covers. A non-owner policy is always secondary coverage, therefore the car owner and their insurance actually have primary responsibility for any damage you do with their vehicle.

Beware: If you borrow a car from a relative or anyone in your home or if you borrow the same car regularly, a non-owner car insurance policy isn’t the right choice. You should be listed on the car owner’s policy or get a broad form policy.


Who Needs a Non-Owners Policy?

You might want a non-owner insurance policy if you don’t own a vehicle and:

  • You need an SR-22 to get your driver’s license reinstated.
  • You use a service such as Zipcar and want your own insurance.
  • You are between vehicles.
  • You want to avoid a lapse in auto insurance coverage.
  • You rent cars frequently and want your own insurance.
  • You occasionally borrow cars that may not be insured or have enough insurance to protect you.
  • Not having a car doesn’t mean you don’t need car insurance. If you still plan on getting behind the wheel, a non-owner policy can protect you on the road.


How Does Non-Owners Auto Insurance Work?

Non-owner insurance is secondary coverage and therefore only has to pay if the car owner’s coverage refuses to pay or isn’t sufficient to cover the damages you cause in their vehicle.


How Much Does Non-Owner Car Insurance Cost?

Broad Form Insurance

Drive Happy – Instant Proof of Insurance

A non-owner car insurance policy always costs less than what you would pay for the same level of liability coverage for a car you own since a regular policy covers the owned car and non-owned cars just like a non-owned policy.

Another reason the policy is cheaper is because the driver will rarely be driving — since the policy does not have to pay if you are driving a regularly borrowed vehicle.

If you are looking for non-owner insurance, call us at 509-783-5600.


How Can I Buy Non-Owners Insurance

The easiest way to buy non-owners insurance is to call us at 509-783-5600. We work with many insurance companies that offer non-owners policy! We can work up the quote for you over the phone to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford. Give us a call to get the best quotes available for non-owner insurance. To ensure you get the cheapest rate, we will get quotes for you from multiple insurance companies. Which company will be the best choice for non-owner auto insurance will, just like a regular car insurance policy, depend on the following factors:

  • The coverages and limits you choose
  • Your age & marital status
  • Your driving history
  • Where you live

Here are some of the companies you can get quotes from for a non-owners policy:

  • National General Insurance*
  • Dairyland Insurance*
  • Progressive Insurance
  • Kemper Specialty Insurance*
  • Bristol West Insurance*
  • The General Insurance
  • Safeco Insurance
  • * company also offers broadform insurance

    Once you’ve purchased your insurance policy, we will send you proof of coverage by email and regular mail. If you need an SR22, it will automatically be sent to the state for you.


    Is Non-Owners Insurance Available in Washington?

    Yes! All the companies we represent offer non-owners insurance policies.


    Can You Help With a Non-Owner SR22?

    Yes, we can. If you live in Washington require an SR22 for Washington or another state, a non-owner policy is an affordable way to satisfy that requirement.

    More Information

    Testimonials & Referrals

    5 Star Review
    Daisy Montejano was an excellent person to work with helped me with everything I needed was an amazing experience and professional

    Eric Hinojosa

    5 Star Review
    Gary was awesome!

    Carolina Villaseñor

    5 Star Review
    Friendly place and Shelly was so wonderful and helpful. Got me what I needed!! Thanks

    Rafa Sanchez